Observable medical staff at UWMC include : Physicians, Dentists, Psychologists, ARNPs, PAs, RNs, CRNAs, Microbiologists and other PhD level Laboratory personnel, Optometrists, Pharmacists, Social Workers, and Podiatrists.
Clinical observation is mandated by UW Medicine Compliance and applies to observational activity only.
No patient care or "hands on" medical training will be conducted. Observers will not perform any medical procedures on patients. They will not have direct contact, or unsupervised access to patients. There will be no compensation provided by the Medical Administration. The observer or sponsoring provider/department is responsible for arranging visas, travel, and accommodations.
Please be advised:
- Persons under the age of 16 cannot apply for observation privileges per UWMC Regulations.
Persons under the age of 18 are not allowed in operating rooms per UWMC Regulations.
Please choose which observer category below you fit into and follow the instructions as listed:
For observing Physicians, ARNPs, PAs, CRNAs, Dentists:: Complete
Application and Agreement for Observational Activities and submit it to
For observing RNs or other areas of patient care services (social work, pharmacy, OT/PT, etc.): Complete the
RN Application and Agreement for Observational Activities and submit to
IHI Students: If the student's sponsor is an MD, ARNP, PA, CRNA or Dentist, Complete the Application and Agreement for Observational Activities and submit it to
email@example.com If the student's sponsor is a RN, SW, PT/OT, Pharmacist, etc. complete the
RN Application and Agreement for Observational Activities and submit to
All vendors are required to register with
Observing at Harborview
HMC Observation Privileges page to find more information about observing at Harborview.
Please read through the following information carefully to ensure appropriate steps are taken BEFORE you begin the application process.
Allow 2 weeks for processing.
Applications submitted less than two weeks from the observation start date may not be processed and approved in time.
Finding a Provider to Observe
Observational privileges will not be granted without the agreement and signature of a UWMC provider to take full responsibility for the observer's time at UWMC – Step 3 of the application.
It is the observer's responsibility to identify a provider to host them before submitting an application. If a provider has not been identified prior to the decision to observe, the observer may
contact the department in the area of interest to discuss setting up an observational experience. Please note neither the Medical Director's Office nor the Chief Nursing Officer's office will assist in matching prospective observers with providers.
Observers are required to comply with all UWMC Immunization Policies and Procedures.
Applications with incomplete immunization documentation will not be approved.
Read through all of the required proof of immunizations listed in the application. A copy of your immunization history must be provided with the application. You will attach a copy of your immunization history to the end of your application and submit as one PDF.
Important to Note:
- All observer applicants must submit records of a single TB skin test placed within one year prior of your observation date All applicants must provide a copy of their PPD results, which includes written documentation of the skin test reaction size.
- All observer applicants must submit proof of an up-to-date flu vaccination, valid through the end date of the observation application.
Again, proof of all required immunizations listed in the application must be provided with the application. Please attach a copy of your immunization history to the end of your application and submit as one PDF.
Please contact UWMC Employee Health directly if you have any questions regarding immunization, (206) 598-4848
How to Apply:
Answer all questions following the instructions below, and obtain all appropriate signatures.
Attached a copy of your immunization history to the end of the application
- Page 1: UW Medical Center Observational Privileges/RN Observational Privileges request
- Observer's name – Full name of observation applicant
- Supervising Provider's Name – Full name of Active Medical Staff Member
- Department – Department under which observation will be taking place
- Job Title – Should be filled in as 'Observer', if not, write/type 'Observer'
- End Date of Observational Activity – This has to be an exact date – Tentative/TBD is not allowed
- Are you shadowing an RN – Answer Yes or No
- Page 2 – Step 1: Biographical Information
- Your Name – Full name of observation applicant
- Your Email – Email address for observation applicant
- Your Address – Full address for observation applicant
- Are you 18 year of age or older – Answer Yes or No
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony – Answer Yes or No
- Have you ever had a medical license revoked or denied – Answer Yes or No
- Read through. Observer applicant SIGNS AND DATES the bottom of this page. Obtain parental/guardian permission if under 18 years of age.
- Page 3 – Step 2:Confidentiality Agreement
- Read through. Observer Applicant SIGNS AND DATES bottom of this page
- Page 4 – Step 3: Supervision
- Who is supervising your observation – Fill in the name of the provider you will be observing
- What department or unit are they with – Fill in the name of the department the supervising provide works within
- What is their phone number – Fill in the phone number of the supervising provider
- What is their email – Fill in the email address for the supervising provider
- What is the first day of your observational activity -
This has to be an exact date – Tentative/TBD is not allowed
- What is the last day of your observational activity – This date must match the End Date indicated on Page 1. Again, this has to be an exact date.
- UWMC Clinical Staff Sponsor – Supervising provider must sign and date
- If observing more than one provider, please provide those providers full names, department, email addresses, signatures and date, as indicated at the bottom of this page.
- If the observer will be with more than three providers, an
additional page with the provider's information and signatures of approval is required and must be included in the application
Applications without a signature in the "Clinical Staff Sponsor" section of the form (or additional provider's page) will NOT be processed or approved.
- Page 5 – Step 4: Letter of Intent
- Type a 100–250 word paragraph explaining why you are interest in observing at UWMC and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- Page 6 – Step 5: Immunization History
- As indicated in the
Immunization section above, read through this page carefully and provide proof of immunization history for those listed on this page.
- You will attach a copy of your immunization history to the end of the application
- If you have any questions about your immunization, please contact UWMC Employee Health directly, (206) 598-4848.
- Page 7 – Step 6: Tuberculosis Symptom Survey
- Fill in the date, observer applicant's Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial, Date of Birth, Employee Identification Number (EID) or UW Student ID number is only required if they are already affiliated with UW
- Answer Yes or No to all 7 symptom questions
Scan the completed application, save it as a PDF
If you are an MD/ARNP/PA/CRNA observing another MD/ARNP/PA/CRNA, e mail the PDF to the Medical Director's Office at
If you are observing a Nurse or other Patient Care Services provider, email the PDF to the Chief Nursing Officer's office at
Notifications & Next Steps
Application and immunizations will be reviewed by either the Medical Director's Office or Chief Nursing Officer's office.
- Applicants are notified (including any department coordinator included in the email submission process) of approval and next steps for badging.
- The Observer must bring the approval documentation and their application to Public Safety (located in BB-120) to obtain a temporary identification badge. This badge will allow the observer into patient care areas and must be worn visibly at all times. Individuals without a UWMC badge may be asked by Security to leave patient care areas.
If you have questions or need further information please contact either the Medical Director's office at
firstname.lastname@example.org or the Chief Nursing Officer's office at