COVID-19 Visitor Policy
UW Medicine’s patient care philosophy depends greatly on engaging families in the healing process. However, due to the high rates of COVID-19 cases in our community, we have limited visitation for the safety of patients, staff and our community. We appreciate your understanding during these difficult times.
Most patients are allowed one to two designated visitors per day, subject to each hospital's guidelines and visitation hours. Visitors are encouraged to limit how long they visit. To safely allow for visitors, we are increasing the level of masks given to visitors and expect visitors to properly wear the masks provided by UW Medicine throughout their visit.
Visiting hours are:
- Harborview Medical Center: 9 am - 6 pm
- UW Medical Center: All day
- Valley Medical Center 8 am - 8 pm (Read Valley Medical Center's visitor policy.)
New visitor requirements at UW Medicine hospital campuses
As of July 19th, UW Medicine has changed our visitor policy to no longer require vaccine verification or proof of a negative test prior to entering our facilities. Visitors are still required to have no new COVID-like symptoms or high-risk exposures (within the last 10 days), and they must continue to follow masking policies.
Additional restrictions in effect for all visitors
The following additional visitor restrictions remain in effect for all visitors:
- Visitors will not be allowed in the rooms of patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19, except for limited situations such as end of life.
- Visitors will be screened upon entry and will only be allowed in if they do not have symptoms of COVID-19.
- Visitors cannot have pending COVID-19 tests that were taken due to symptoms or exposure to a person who tested positive for COVID-19.
- Visitors cannot have tested positive and still be within their isolation period or have been in contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 10 days.
- Visitors 2 years of age and older (even if fully vaccinated) must wear the mask provided upon entry covering their nose and mouth at all times while in our facilities. If the visitor does not want to remove their own mask, the one given at the entrance may be placed over the visitor’s mask.
- Visitors must stay in the patient’s room except when arriving or departing the facility.
- Visitors may not consume food or beverages in the lobbies, waiting areas, shared patient spaces or when healthcare workers are present in the patient care space.
Your cooperation in observing these restrictions is appreciated and will help us provide the safe environment that is necessary to continue to welcome visitors to our hospitals and clinics.
At UW Medicine outpatient clinics, we encourage our patients to come alone to their appointments. When necessary, the following exceptions are allowed:
- Patients may have one adult accompany them..
- Postpartum patients may bring their newborns.
- Patients may bring their children if they have no alternative.
Vendors Doing Business with UW Medicine
Important update for our vendors, suppliers and contractors
UW Medicine is requiring all vendors, suppliers and contractors working on-site at any UW Medicine facility to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than Monday, January 3, 2022, in supporting the Governor’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Proclamation 21-14.1. For more information, please see a copy of our notification.
As a supplier, vendor or contractor of UW Medicine, you are responsible for 1) determining whether the Proclamation applies to you and 2) ensuring your representatives, including employees and subcontractors, comply with UW Medicine’s COVID-19 vaccine requirement. To confirm compliance, all suppliers and vendors working on-site at UW Medicine must complete and return the COVID-19 Vaccination Declaration form. A Docusign eSignature Vaccination Declaration form is provided for your convenience here.
For questions about these requirements, please first review the Proclamation above, and review the FAQs from the Office of the Governor. For remaining questions, vendors, suppliers, and contractors can contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
Here is the list of compliant non-Green Security vendors who have completed the declaration and are approved to work on-site at UW Medicine.