2020 Advice from Admissions
2019 Forum Sessions
The Admissions Forum Sessions are informative presentations led by University of Washington School of Medicine Admissions Dean, LeeAnna Muzquiz, MD. These sessions are designed for prospective first-time applicants and re-applicants. The content focuses on what the University of Washington School of Medicine expects from applicants. All applicants are encouraged to review the presentation slides prior to applying to the UWSOM.
- 2019 Forum Session I: "The Application," LeeAnna Muzquiz, M.D., UWSOM Associate Dean for Admissions
- 2018 Forum Session II: "The Interview," LeeAnna Muzquiz, M.D., UWSOM Associate Dean for Admissions
Medical school requirements tools and guides
- MSAR - Medical School Admission Requirements - the most authoritative guide to all U.S. and Canadian medical schools
- AMCAS - American Medical College Application Service - a nonprofit, centralized application processing service for medical school applicants
- AMCAS Advisors Information - for advisors
- AMCAS Application Information - for applicants
- AAMC Background Check Service - national background check of applicant upon acceptance
- MCAT - Medical College Admissions Test - official information about the MCAT
- AAMC Post-Baccalaureate Pre-medical Programs Information on after-college programs designed to prepare students for successful application to medical school
Applications and admissions
- Listening Skills: Fact sheet on how to be 'a good listener' and an 'active listener'
- Toastmasters International: Become the speaker and leader you want to be. If you search this website, you will find Toastmasters groups affiliated with UW, and more within Seattle's University District near the UW campus.
- Witt Communications: Communication Tips - how to improve your communication skills
- Dale Carnegie: Secrets to Success, learn how to communicate with diplomacy and tact through the best-seller, "How to Win Friends and Influence People"
Current issues in healthcare and academic medicine
- AAMC Reporter the Association of American Medical Colleges’ flagship monthly news publication, covers major programs and initiatives at the AAMC and member institutions, as well as the broader issues that affect the academic medical community
- Gawande.com A resource of articles on current issues in healthcare
- Health System Reform Insight the American Medical Association (AMA) has developed Health System Reform Insight to help patients and physicians understand the Affordable Care Act
Ethical issues in medicine
- The Bioethics Department at the UW School of Medicine – offers a list of resources on bioethics topics
- Jonsen, Siegler, Winslade. "Clinical Ethics" (any edition). Excellent case/core issues book
- Center for Practical Bioethics, a nonprofit, free-standing and independent organization nationally recognized for its work in practical bioethics
- Thomasma, Kushner. "Ward Ethics: Dilemmas for Medical Students and Doctors in Training." Focuses on student issues
- Atul Gawande, "Complications." More contemporary and subtle issues, relevant for understanding challenges within the practice of medicine
- Greg Pence. "Medical Ethics: Accounts of the Cases that Shaped and Define Medical Ethics." Many people like this book. More 'topical' than issues-focused, like “clinical ethics”
Letters of recommendation services
- Interfolio: Online commercial portfolio storage service that will hold letters of recommendation until needed for the application process. Some universities/colleges offer similar services for their students and alumni
- AMCAS Letters of Evaluation/Recommendation: Applicants submit their letters of recommendation through this service when applying to the UW School of Medicine
MCAT prep courses
(The UW School of Medicine does not endorse or have any financial interest in any of these prep courses).
- Khan Academy: MCAT Preparation
- WikiPremed MCAT Course: Comprehensive MCAT Course
- Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions: MCAT Programs
- Princeton Review: MCAT Hyperlearning Course
- Columbia Review: Intensive MCAT Preparation
- Gold Standard MCAT Prep Practice MCAT tests
- Parliament Tutors: Private tutoring and online MCAT Course.
- MCAT Test Preparation: UW Office of Minority Affairs
- University Tutoring: Test Preparation, 3232 NE 45th Street, Seattle WA
- Next Step Test Preparation: One-on-one MCAT tutoring
- Tutor the People: Individual MCAT tutoring from medical students and doctors