Residence Certification

​​​​The UWSOM Office of Admissions is not responsible for certifying state residency. ​Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho applicants should refer to the appropriate residency classification office for the most accurate and current information.  Please do NOT send materials for residency certification to the University of Washington School of Medicine Admissions office.

If you are asked to verify your legal residence, you may need to submit the following documents that could include but are not limited to:

  • Proof of employment
  • Driver's license/state ID
  • Vehicle registration
  • Voter registration
  • Proof of an established bank account
  • Verification from the out-of-state college or university that they were enrolled as a nonresident and paid nonresident tuition. (If you were enrolled in a private school, provide verification of enrollment.)
  • A true and correct copy of your state and federal income tax return for the calendar year immediately prior to the year in which this application is made. If you did not file a state or federal income tax return because of minimal or no taxable income, documented information concerning the receipt of such nontaxable income must be submitted.
  • A true and correct copy of your W2 form filed for the previous calendar year.
  • Other documented financial resources. Such other resources may include but are not limited to: the sale of personal or real property, trust fund, state or financial assistance, gifts, or earnings of the spouse of a married student.

These documents should be on hand and ready to submit to the Residency Classification Office upon request.  Washington residents are strongly encouraged to submit the State Questionnaire section on the Secondary Application before November 1st, if they are asked to verify their Washington residency. 

If you are uncertain of your residency status, please contact the appropriate office for details:

Please note: The states Wyoming, Alaska and Montana have payback requirements in exchange for a lower cost of tuition. Please review your state's specific policies regarding this.