Please read the following information carefully to ensure your application is complete:
Observable medical staff at UWMC includes: Physicians, Dentists, Psychologists, ARNPs, RNs, CNMs, CRNAs, Microbiologists and other PhD level Laboratory personnel, Optometrists, Pharmacists, PAs, and Podiatrists.
Clinical observation is mandated by UW Medicine Compliance and applies to observational activity only. No patient care or "hands on" medical training will be conducted. Observers will not perform any medical procedures on patients. They will not have direct contact, or unsupervised access to patients. There will be no compensation provided by the Medical Administration. The observer or sponsoring provider/department is responsible for arranging visas, travel, and accommodations.
It is the observer’s responsibility to identify a provider to host them. Observational privileges will not be granted without the agreement of a UWMC provider to take full responsibility for the observer’s time at UWMC.
If a provider has not been identified the observer may
contact the department in the area of interest to discuss setting up an observational experience.
School of Medicine website to set up an observership and apply.
All vendors are required to register with
Observing at Harborview
HMC Observation Privileges page to find more information about observing at Harborview.
Observers are required to comply with all UWMC Immunization Policies and Procedures.
Applications with incomplete immunization documentation will not be approved.
Observers must submit records of a single TB skin test placed within one year of your observation date. In addition, they must complete and submit the TB symptom survey included in the observation application.
- All applicants must provide a copy of their PPD results, which includes written documentation of the skin test reaction size.
- Applicants with positive PPD results must submit any available supporting documentation, such as a positive TB skin test reading and chest x-ray results. In addition, they must complete and submit the TB symptom survey included in the observation application.
Applicants must provide proof of immunization by providing copies of your immunization history. Contact UWMC Employee Health if you have specific questions, 598-4848.
How To Apply
- Fill out the application.
- Sign the agreements on page two and three of the application.
Applications without a signature in the “Clinical Staff Sponsor” sections of the form will NOT be processed or approved.
Type a letter of intent on page five of the application.Attach your immunization history, as outlined on page six of the application.
- If the observer will be shadowing multiple providers within the same department or clinic, please write the additional names the space provided on page four of the form.
- If the observer will be with more than three departments or clinics, an additional copy of page four with the provider’s information and signature of approval is required.
Scan the completed application, save it as a pdf, and email it to the Medical Director's Office at
email@example.com for the Medical Director's approval and signature.
Allow 2 weeks for processing. Applications submitted less than two weeks from the observation start date may not be processed and approved in time.
- Applications without documentation of TB screening will not be approved. The PPD must have been placed within one year prior to the desired observation start date.
Applications with incomplete immunization histories will not be approved.
Click here for the form:
Application and Agreement for Observational Activities
The Observer must bring the approval memo and application, provided by the Medical Director’s Office, to Public Safety (located in BB-120) to obtain a temporary identification badge. This badge will allow the observer into patient care areas and must be worn visibly at all times. Individuals without a UWMC badge may be asked by Security to leave patient care areas.
If you have questions or need further information please contact the Medical Director’s office at