Dr. Harrast is a sports medicine physician and medical director of the Seattle Marathon. His clinical expertise is diagnosing and treating sports-related…
Read Full Bio
Patient Care Philosophy
"I like my patients to be active participants in their health care. We work together as a team to restore and maximize function lost through injury or illness. Spending the time to talk with and educate my patients is very important, particularly in that first encounter, so that they understand the issues well and can continue to be active participants in the healing process."
He is an accomplished competitive endurance athlete training for and racing in triathlons and marathons. He has raced >10 marathons with a personal best of 2:46; four Ironman triathlons in the US, Canada, and Brazil, finishing in the 10-hour range; and numerous Olympic-distance triathlons and road races nationally and internationally.
Overuse injuries and illnesses in runners and triathletes. Athletes with back pain--more specifically, the adolescent athlete with back pain/spondylolysis.
The prevention and rehabilitation strategies of overuse injuries in endurance athletes; muscle imbalance and activation patterns as a source of musculoskeletal injury; safety and medical preparedness for marathon event coverage; and fluid balance and electrolyte disturbances in endurance athletes.
- University of ChicagoOther Education1992
- Northwestern Univ. Medical SchoolMedical education1996
- St. Joseph Hospital (Denver)Internship
- UW - Dept. of Rehabilitation MedicineResidency
- Univ. of Michigan SOMFellowship
- American Board of Physical Medicine & RehabPain Medicine2005
- American Board of Physical Medicine & RehabPhysical Medicine & Rehabilitation2011
- American Board of Physical Medicine & RehabSports Medicine2008