At the UW Medicine Eye Institute, our mission dovetails with our passion: to improve patients’ vision. We are exceptionally well-equipped for this mission, because your doctors are also your researchers — and research leads to great patient care. Learn more about their work, and learn how you can help
We provide state-of-the-art care for people with:
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma is a group of diseases in which a damaged optic nerve incrementally reduces vision.
- Cataracts - A cataract is the clouding of the normally clear lens of the eye.
- Retina diseases - Retinal diseases affect the tissue lining the inside back wall of the eye known as the retina.
- Cornea and external diseases - Cornea and external diseases can cause infection, inflammation, loss of tear film or excessive tearing, thinning, degeneration and scarring of the clear dome-shaped surface known as the cornea that covers the front of the eye.
- Orbit and nerve diseases - Orbit and nerve diseases can cause inflammation and damage to the fibers of the optic nerve with subsequent loss of vision.
Our areas of emphasis also include:
- Comprehensive eye health
- Cornea and external disease
- Oculofacial (cosmetic and traumatic) surgery
- Oculofacial plastic and orbital surgery
- Oncology and ocular tumors
- Optometric services
- Refractive surgery
Our dedicated physicians, surgeons and researchers care for patients in the Ninth & Jefferson Building
at Harborview Medical Center, just off Interstate 5 on Seattle’s First Hill. Patients can park conveniently in the building’s underground garage. Institute physicians and staff will continue to treat patients at the Eye Center
at UW Medical Center, as well.
Eyes on James Optical Shop
Eyes on James
is our full-service optical shop located at street level in the Ninth & Jefferson Building at the intersection of James Street and Terry Avenue. The shop offers eye exams, specialty glasses and contact lenses. For additional information, call 206.897.4774.
Visit our Eyes on James
Whether your eye problem is simple or complex, the UW Medicine Eye Institute looks forward to offering you first-rate service and terrific results.