The premedical course requirements must be completed before matriculating and preferably before applying. Undergraduate or post/baccalaureate required courses must be completed at a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting body.
1. Courses must include a minimum of the following
(this list is for your information and is not exhaustive)
Social sciences, humanities or "human condition" - 4 semesters or 6 quarters.General types of courses that fulfill these requirements are: anthropology, classics, cultural studies/cross cultural studies, English literature, ethics, foreign language literature, history, music appreciation, philosophy, psychology, religion/theology, sociology, study abroad
Chemistry and biology - 6 semesters or 9 quarters.The subject matter in these courses must include college level chemistry and biology, biochemistry, molecular genetics, cell biology/cell physiology, although applicants are not required to take courses with these specific titles.
- 2 semesters or 3 quarters;
- 1 semester or 2 quarters of physics; plus 1 semester or 2 quarters of calculus or linear algebra
2. General types of courses that will not fulfill these course requirements
(this list is for your information and is not exhaustive):
- Non-applicable social sciences or humanities: “how to courses”, English composition, English grammar, foreign language composition, foreign language grammar, journalism, leadership, music composition, music lessons, performance (dance, instrument, voice, etc.)
- Non-applicable science courses: laboratory courses, research, courses taught by a department other than basic science (for example, courses taught by the nursing department and listed as NURS rather than BIO on your transcript)
3. The following courses are recommended, but not required
- Anatomy or comparative anatomy
- Human or mammalian physiology
International Courses can be accepted to fulfill the prerequisites as long as they have been verified by a bona fide credentials evaluator. This service can be provided by such companies as Foundation for International Services
, Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute
, World Education Services
, National Association of Credential Evaluation Services
or Association of International Credential Evaluators
. The American Medical College Application Services (AMCAS) will not verify your international transcripts. After submitting your AMCAS application, the UWSOM will need an original copy of your transcripts sent directly from the foreign institution, and a transcript evaluation from a bona fide credentials evaluator.
Under exceptional circumstances, some course requirements may be waived for individuals with unusual achievements and academic promise. All candidates should demonstrate substantial academic ability in their major field as well as in the required science courses. Candidates should be proficient in the use of the English language, basic mathematics, personal computing and information technologies.
All entrants in recent years have fulfilled requirements for a bachelor’s degree. No specific major is advised. A broad background in the humanities and liberal arts is encouraged. ^ TOP