The UW Medicine Diabetes Care Center offers state-of-the-art, comprehensive care to patients with type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, severe insulin resistance, cystic fibrosis related diabetes and transplant-related diabetes.
The center is dedicated to helping patients and their families learn to manage diabetes with confidence, while reducing short- and long-term complications from this chronic condition.
Our doctors can provide a full spectrum of diabetes management — from preventing the condition and caring for newly diagnosed patients to coordinating specialty care for patients with advanced forms of diabetes.
Our services include:
- Diabetes education for effective self-management
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Help with meal and exercise planning, as well as guidance about lifestyle changes that may have positive effects on diabetes
- Medication and insulin therapy
- Routine health management to check for kidney, eye, skin, heart, thyroid and circulation problems
- Prevention and treatment of diabetes-related complications, including specialists in kidney problems
- Training in using a continuous glucose monitoring system for patients of the clinic
- Diabetes-related mental health evaluations and treatment
The center is composed of internationally recognized experts in diabetes and obesity who work together in a multidisciplinary team. At one location, you can schedule an appointment with any number of specialists, all dedicated to helping your manage your diabetes, prevent potential complications and treat those complications should they arise. This combination of expertise and collaboration leads to better care and better outcomes for patients with diabetes.
Our team includes:
- Certified diabetes educators
- Clinical pharmacists
- Social workers
Integrated care is better care. That’s why the specialists at the center also partner with primary care providers in the UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics. In addition, they work with UW Medicine physicians providing diabetes-related care in other specialties — such as vascular, kidney, eye, heart and orthopedics — to ensure that your care is integrated at every level.
UW Medicine healthcare providers are the region’s experts in intensive insulin management, as well as in using insulin pump technology to treat diabetes.
Diabetes specialists at UW Medicine have been involved in research about the safety and effectiveness of many of the new insulin therapies that have become available since the mid 1990s. And as part of an academic health system, our providers have also trained many community-based healthcare providers to prescribe insulin for diabetes management.
So, if you have questions about diabetes, the doctors and caregivers at the UW Medicine Diabetes Care Center can help.