One of the requirements to attend the University of Washington is submitting your criminal background check (CBC). The original CBC should have been completed within two weeks of acceptance to the UWSOM and a three-page Request for Criminal History Information, Consent, Self-Disclosure and Release of Information form should have been submitted as well.
The CBC must be repeated in January of Second year, January of Fourth year, and, if students have an expanded curriculum, every two years thereafter in order to remain in compliance. All students, including those on a leave of absence and those in a concurrent degree program, are required to maintain compliance. If you have any questions about the status of your CBC compliance, please contact SOMcompl@uw.edu.
Criminal background check for incoming first-year students
Accepted applicants are required to initiate the criminal background check (CBC) administered through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Washington state law requires that all individuals who have access to children under 16 years of age, developmentally disabled people, and other vulnerable persons, disclose background information concerning crimes and offenses against these populations. A nationwide criminal background search is mandatory for all accepted applicants. The accepted student must initiate the search within two weeks of receiving the acceptance notification email.
Upon acceptance, you will receive an email notification from Certiphi Screening Inc., requesting that you log in to their website and complete the criminal background check. If you have already completed the CBC for other schools you have been accepted to, the report will automatically be released to the UWSOM (please note this only applies to schools that are participating in AMCAS).
Certiphi will then send you a second email requesting that you complete the Request for Criminal History Information, Self-Disclosure, Consent, and Release of Information form. Please print out the form, fill it out, sign it and upload it to your Castlebranch Compliance Tracker. Contact information is on the form. If you did not receive the email from Certiphi, you can download the form by clicking on the link above.
Non-Washington Residents - Washington State Patrol CBC
All incoming students are required by Washington state law to complete a background check through the Washington State Patrol. If you are not a Washington state resident, you will receive an email from UWSOM compliance staff requesting that you complete this additional CBC.
Criminal background check returning students
Renewing your criminal background check
The vendor currently used by the UWSOM to conduct criminal background checks (CBCs) is CastleBranch. Students can log in to the CastleBranch website and create an account. The UWSOM will automatically receive a copy of the report via the website.
Instructions for initiating your criminal background check online:
- Paste the following link into your browser: https://portal.castlebranch.com/UW70/package-selection
- Select: Current Students
- Select UW71bg: I need to order my Background Check
- Review the next 2 pages and click “next” and “continue”
- Place your order by entering your personal information and personal identifiers. When you are placing your order, on the screen that says “Statewide Criminal WA”, the only state you can select is Washington.
- The Statewide Criminal WA is required by WA State law for all healthcare workers. So even if you live in another state, because you are a UW student, the search needs to be done.
- Follow the instructions on the myCB web site. Use the same email address you used when creating your username for your myCB immunizations account. Access your myCB anytime to view order status and completed results. The UWSOM will have access to view your completed CBC report from a separate web portal.
- If you have technical issues with the myCB site, please contact myCB Service Desk via phone, chat or email: 1-888-914-7279, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be asked to authorize a $48.50 charge to your debit or credit card. Do not pay for anything extra! The $48.50 flat fee includes all aliases and addresses. International address searches are not required. If you are charged more please email email@example.com.
- Addresses and aliases: You will be asked to list your current address. The residence history search will find all prior addresses. Likewise, you will be asked to enter your current name. The social security number (SSN) search will find all previous names.
- Please print the UW Self Disclosure, Consent and Release of Information Form (PDF)
- Send the signed form to the UWSOM via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 206-543-9052 or mail to ATT: Compliance, UWSOM Student Affairs, Suite A300, 1959 NE Pacific St., Box 356340, Seattle WA 98195.
- Please note we can accept scanned copies in pdf format or photos of the document in jpeg format as long as it is sent to us from your uw.edu email address. We can CANNOT accept typewritten signatures.
A criminal background check must be completed every two years - at matriculation, in January prior to the Patient Care Phase, and in January of the Explore and Focus Phase. If a student extends their training beyond four years, they will be required to complete additional background checks.
How to access your criminal background check on Evalue:
- Log in to eValue with your UW Net ID at http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/current-students/technology/e-value
- Select the "School of Medicine" program
- Select "Home" and then in the sub-menu select "Other tasks"
- Select "Manage Personal Records"