UW Diabetes Institute at South Lake Union
Make an Appointment
|Day of Week||Hours Open|
|Monday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Tuesday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Wednesday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
If at any point your symptoms worsen or you feel like you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency room.
Services available at this location include:
- Diabetes care
- Diabetes education
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Medical consultation
- Mental health care
- Metabolic surgery consultation
- Nutritional counseling
Comprehensive diabetes care
The Diabetes Institute is the first of its kind in the Pacific Northwest, integrate advanced care for patients with all types of diabetes, including Type 1, Type 2 and more unusual forms of diabetes that may develop in conjunction with other medical conditions and/or treatments. We also provide specialty care for patients with diabetes, including cardiology, weight loss, nephrology and podiatry.
Located in a new, state-of-the-art building on UW Medicine’s South Lake Union campus, the Diabetes Institute brings together research and clinical care. Our patients have access to the following care:
- Education on all aspects of living with diabetes, including individual and group classes taught by Certified Diabetes Educators (CDEs)
- Nutritional counseling for patients and their families with a Registered Dietitian (RD/CDE)
- Metabolic and bariatric surgery consultation
- Mental health services for patients living with diabetes
- Transition clinic for young adults with diabetes transitioning from Children’s Hospital to adult care
- Cardiology evaluation and consultation for patients with diabetes
- Echocardiogram (resting echo and stress/treadmill echo)
The Diabetes Institute is an accredited American Diabetes Association program and offers support groups for patients with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
PLEASE NOTE: THE SOUTH LAKE UNION NEIGHBORHOOD HAS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF CONSTRUCTION THAT MAY IMPACT STREET ACCESS.
From I-5 North or South
Take Exit 167 to Mercer Street /Seattle Center. Turn left at the end of the off-ramp lane onto Fairview Ave N. Go one block and turn right onto Republican Street. Travel four blocks west, passing 8th Avenue N. Turn right into the 750 Visitor & Patient Parking garage just before Dexter Avenue N.
Take Westlake Avenue going north, then turn left at Harrison Street. Go two blocks and take a right onto 8th Avenue N. At the next intersection, take a left on Republican Street. Turn right into the 750 Visitor & Patient Parking garage just before Dexter Avenue N.
Take the Mercer Street exit onto Republican Street exit. Continue on Republican Street across Dexter Avenue N. Take the first left into the 750 Visitor & Patient Parking garage
Take the Harrison Street exit. Continue on Harrison Street for 1 block. Take a left on Dexter Ave N. Go one block and take a right on Republican Street. Take the first left into the 750 Visitor & Patient Parking garage.
The UW Medicine South Lake Union complex is located two blocks to the west of the northbound stop; one block west of the southbound stop. For additional information and schedules, please visit http://seattlestreetcar.com.
The UW Medicine South Lake Union complex is served by two shuttles that stop on Republican Street between 8th Ave N and 9th Ave N. The UWMC – SLU shuttle runs between UW Medical Center, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and South Lake Union. The HMC – SLU shuttle runs between Harborview Medical Center and South Lake Union. Routes and timetables can be found here.
- The entrance to the garage is located on Republican Street.
- Driving into the underground facility, you will approach a ticket machine.
- Pull a ticket from the machine. This will raise the gate, allowing you into the garage.
- Park in patient designated spots.
- Take the orange patient elevators for Building F to the second floor. Make sure to bring your parking ticket with you.
- Before returning to your vehicle, pay for your parking at the kiosk on the 1st floor. Provide a credit card (MasterCard/Visa only) for payment. No cash will be accepted. ** KEEP YOUR TICKET WITH YOU. YOU WILL NEED IT TO EXIT THE GARAGE. **
- The UW Neighborhood South Lake Union Clinic does not validate parking. Please see parking payment options below.
Disability Parking for Visitors
There are disability parking spaces in the parking garages near the garage elevators for vehicles displaying disability permits.
Parking Payment Options
We accept payment by: MasterCard/Visa only. Cash is not accepted. Parking rates are as follows:
0 -15 minutes = free
15 minutes - 1 hour = $3
1 - 2 hour = $6
2 - 3 hour = $9
3 - 4 hour = $16
Daily Maximum = $21
Lost ticket = $21
Building entrances are located in the breezeway between the two buildings on Republican Street.