Volunteer placement is dependent on the applicant’s work history & volunteer experience, as well as the needs of the hospital. Applicants with no prior work or volunteering experience in a healthcare setting will usually be required to complete a 3 month term (50 hours) of service at our Information Desk as a Patient & Family Ambassador.
Opportunities are variable but generally are available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Please refer to our Opportunity Directory for a list of commonly available departments.
Please keep in mind that we will place volunteers based primarily on the needs of the hospital, and that we cannot guarantee any applicant a position in a certain department.
Typical Volunteer Duties
Harborview volunteers are an essential part of the Harborview community. Typical volunteer duties include:
- Restocking supplies in inpatient units
- Providing non-medical comfort to patients
- Preparing rooms for new patients
- Providing administrative support in medical offices
- Reading to patients
- Changing bed linens
- Answering patient calls
- Socializing with patients, speaking with patients in another language
- Escorting non-critical patients to clinic appointments
- Directing patients' families and friends to hospital units, clinics or other destinations
- Distributing books, magazines and activities to patient rooms and waiting areas
Harborview Medical Center is a King County owned property