Career Advising

​​UWSOM Career Advisor

Linh Ngo

The UWSOM career advising department is available throughout your four years of  medical school to answer questions and concerns regarding career decision-making. The advisor can help you decide which specialties to consider for residency training and direct you to the appropriate departmental career counselors. They can also assist you in preparing your personal statements and preparing to interview for residency programs.


Full list of the UWSOM Career Advising Resources

AAMC's Careers in Medicine

Departmental career advisors

Every specialty within UWSOM has identified departmental career advisors, and these are the faculty physicians to contact as you reach your third year. Each student has the opportunity to be assigned an individual departmental advisor in the spring of third year. Departmental advisors can answer questions about their specialties, the likelihood of you having a successful match, the rotations they recommend for your fourth year, and residencies to consider applying to. View the Career Advisors FAQ document for a list of the advisors, their contact information, and information about each specialty.

College Mentors

With The Colleges Program at UW School of Medicine, each medical student is assigned a mentor to act as his or her advisor and advocate throughout their four years of medical school. In the first and second year, the focus is academic counseling. The focus shifts toward career counseling in the third and fourth years. Mentors are an important source of general information and guidance concerning careers in medicine. Some students have a clear idea of what fields they are interested in, but many students do not. Your mentor's role is to help you explore your interests, be a sounding board for ideas, and direct you to appropriate resources. Your mentor will not provide in-depth detailed information about applying to residencies or specific guidance on pursuing fields of medicine differ​ent fr​om their own.

Student Affairs​

Staff members in student affairs can help you with questions about the residency application, the electronic residency application service (ERAS), and your Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE). Contact Sarah Wood in Student Affairs with questions.