Preceptorships for First and Second Year Students
A preceptorship is an elective mentored experience in which a practicing physician volunteers to give personal instruction, training, and supervision to a medical student during the first year or through the winter term of the second year of medical school. Preceptorships offer the preclinical student an opportunity to follow a patient over time, to get to know the particular clinical field and to experience a clinical setting. Students report that preceptorships can be an excellent way of preparing for board examinations and clinical training.
Students register themselves for preceptorships via MyUW. UWSOM does not waive late registration fees.
Preceptorship courses are available for matriculated UWSOM medical students only.
If you have questions or need more information, or if you are a physician who would like to become a preceptor, please contact the
Shadowing for First and Second Year Students
Shadowing is observing doctor-patient interactions and may lead to a preceptorship. Shadowing experiences offer the preclinical student an opportunity for career exploration, understanding the realities of medicine, and discovering likes and dislikes.
- Shadowing is available for matriculated UWSOM medical students.
- Students do not need clearance from the Student Affairs Office to request a shadowing experience.
- Students who participate in shadowing experiences that are offered outside of Foundations of Clinical Medicine (FCM), Service Learning, TRUST, RUOP, Primary Care Practicum (PCP), and preceptorship courses must be approved; shadowing will be monitored and tracked by each Foundations campus.
- Shadowing experiences in Seattle do not require approval.
- Contact the departmental medical student program office to inquire about availability and connection with a faculty preceptor to determine mutual agreement on expectations, goals, frequency of shadowing, etc.
- Shadowing experiences at Harborview Medical Center must be pre-approved by the medical director's office. Please contact the
Curriculum Office for more information.
- No registration is required.
- Letters of good standing are not provided by Academic Affairs for shadowing experiences.