The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) passed by the U.S. Congress in 1996 regulates the security of systems on which patient data is stored, protections for the privacy of personal health records, and the requirements for safeguarding individually identifiable health information. This federal legislation took effect on April 14, 2003. Each health care facility is required to provide documentation of HIPAA training for everyone with access to patients and/or patient data.
Incoming First Year Students
This is one of the first steps in your training as a future physician.
UW email address is necessary in order to register for the training.
2. Register yourself for HIPAA training: http://uwmedicinecompliance.uw.edu/register/. Fill in the registration form as follows:
- Department: SOM Medical Students
- Select affiliation: Student
- Learner email: your UW.EDU email address
- Supervisor/Coordinator Name: Laura Ellis
- Supervisor/Coordinator Email: email@example.com
- Username: your UW NetID
3. You will receive an email with log in instructions.
4. Upon completion, you can print a certificate to verify your compliance with this federal regulation. Please email a copy of your certificate in pdf format to
and keep one copy for your records, as you may be asked to provide a copy by clinical sites or to participate in research projects with patient contact or data.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Laura Ellis at SOMcompl@uw.edu