The Summer Teen Program is available during the months of June through August for teenagers aged sixteen through eighteen (who have not yet graduated from high school). Teenagers build leadership, teamwork and customer service skills and gain valuable exposure to the environment of healthcare in a nationally recognized medical center
Summer Teens greet and direct visitors, transport patients, deliver specimens to the lab and flowers to patients, and assist staff with special projects. Due to the critical healthcare environment at UWMC, candidates for this program must be mature, reliable, self-directed, motivated, and able to work independently. They must also demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills and be comfortable working with a diverse patient population.
2015 UWMC Summer Teen Program Deadlines
The deadline to receive applications for the 2015 UWMC Summer Teen Volunteer Program is Wednesday, April 22nd at 4:00pm at UWMC Volunteer Services, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Room NN-303, Seattle, WA 98195. To be considered, all applications must be complete, the applicant must meet the age guidelines and the application must be received by the deadline. Late, or incomplete, applications will not be considered. Please note there are a limited number of program placements available; an application does not guarantee placement in the program.
- Minimum age requirement: 16 at date of application.
- Commitment: 30 hours overall, with a minimum of 4 hours per week and a maximum of 12 hours per week.
- There can be no break in service longer than two weeks during the duration of the program.
- Pass Washington State Background Check provided by UWMC.
- Purchase and wear volunteer uniform polo shirt or jacket, and follow UWMC dress code (PDF).
- Follow and abide by UWMC's Service Culture Guidelines (PDF).
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
How to Get Started
Complete and submit Volunteer Application Packet which must include the following seven items:
- Summer TeenVolunteer Application (PDF).
- Personal Statement (PDF) about why you would like to volunteer at UWMC.
- Immunization History and Employee Health form (PDF). Please note that only this completed form is required as part as your application; do not include your medical records.
- UWMC Criminal History form (PDF).
- Photo Release Agreement (PDF).
- Employee Health Center Care Agreement (PDF).
- Letter of RecommendationRequirements:
Preferred but not required:
- Written within the last year
- Dated and signed.
Who may write your letter of recommendation?
- On letterhead
- Written specifically for our program
Who may not write your letter of recommendation?
- Neighbor or adult family friend (not a peer)
- Coach or group leader (i.e. from an organization such as Boy Scouts).
- Church leader
Do not submit the letter separately from your application; do not seal it in a separate envelope. See Frequently Asked Questions for more details.
Mail or turn in your completed packet with all seven items to:Volunteer Services
University of Washington Medical Center
1959 NE Pacific Street
Seattle, WA 98195-6144Please note that space is limited!
Application does not guarantee placement in the program.
Returning 2015 Summer Teen Volunteers
Please submit this form. This is the only form required for returning 2015 Summer Teen volunteers.