Volunteer Positions at UWMC
Patient Escort / Lobby Ambassador
Be a part of our highly regarded team of volunteers who transport, greet and welcome visitors and patients to UWMC. Our Lobby Ambassadors are stationed at the Information Desk and they play a central role in providing a warm and welcoming environment for each of our visitors. Lobby Ambassadors provide way-finding information and directions to clinic locations. Patient Escorts assist patients to their appointments throughout the entire medical center complex. They discharge patients, and deliver specimens, supplies, flowers and patient mail. Volunteers receive training on safe wheelchair handling and patient transport, customer service, and patient confidentiality. The Escort / Lobby Ambassador roles provide our volunteers with a great opportunity to work directly with patients while also experiencing the hospital environment in a leading regional and metropolitan acute care facility. In these roles, volunteers become familiar with the diversity of care and services provided at UWMC while experiencing the highest level of patient contact of any volunteer position offered at UWMC.
What our volunteers have to say about their experience in these roles
Hannah Lampert: "Working with UWMC staff and patients has allowed me to feel like I am part of the healthcare team while I am volunteering. Being a volunteer with UWMC has shown me how rewarding it is to serve others in healthcare."
Justin Seymour: "I always look forward to volunteering at UWMC because of the energetic volunteer team and the impact I’m able to make on the patients I serve. I have also learned a lot about myself as an individual in the process."
Other Volunteer Positions at UWMC
Opportunities are available in a variety of clinics, nursing units, specialty care areas, physical therapy, post-op, radiology, and surgical services. Duties in these areas range from reception, clerical and office related tasks to stocking supplies, assisting staff in non-patient care functions and providing patient transport. These positions are available on an as-needed, as-available basis. Volunteers are required to complete a one month and sixteen hours of service pre-requisite as a Patient Escort before they are eligible for new assignments.
Volunteers are required to make a minimum commitment of four hours per week for three months.
Requirements to Volunteer
Excellent customer service skills; ability to perform basic functions of a volunteer role; highly motivated and positive; a willingness to learn and take direction; mature and reliable.
- Complete a criminal background and Washington State Patrol background check prior to placement. Must have a clear record.
- Complete a tuberculosis (TB) screening and receive clearance through UWMC Employee Health. You must meet immunization requirements which include: two measles, mumps, and rubella (MMRs), tetanus and chicken pox vaccines.
- Attend volunteer orientation and complete job-specific training provided by UWMC.
- Sign a statement of commitment.
- Complete all other required training and orientation as required.
- Volunteers must be over eighteen years of age, or eighteen-year-old high school graduates. Sixteen- to eighteen-year-olds who are currently attending high school are eligible to participate in our Summer Teen Program.
Our program does not accommodate job shadowing, internships, court ordered service, or job training programs.