Your baby deserves the best beginning and breastfeeding helps you provide the best in nutrition, warmth and security. The UW Medicine Lactation Service at UW Medical Center is here to help you nourish and nurture your baby. Our internationally board- certified lactation consultants have provided new families with personalized breastfeeding care since 1986.
We realize that you may hear a lot of breastfeeding advice. Our goal is not to give advice but accurate information and education, knowing that’s what will help you to make the best feeding choices for you and your baby. When you have breastfeeding questions or concerns, you can depend on our experienced nurse lactation consultants.
UW Medical Center values breastfeeding so much that we took special steps to become the first hospital in Seattle to be awarded a certification from UNICEF and the World Health Organization, naming us as a “Baby Friendly Hospital.” That means that when you receive maternity care at UWMC, you can be confident that breastfeeding is a priority and all your caregivers are here to help you succeed.
UWMC lactation consultants work with your doctors, nurses and the rest of your care team. From pregnancy to the end of your breastfeeding experience, we offer in-person and telephone consultations, breastfeeding evaluations, follow-up visits in our lactation clinic, and long-term personalized education and support.
Call us to help you make the most of your breastfeeding experience. Lactation Services 206.598.4628.
Lactation Education Handouts
- How to Breastfeed
- You Can Breastfeed Your Preterm Baby
- Expressing Breast Milk
- Nursing Your Preterm Baby
- Low Milk Production
- Fenugreek, Reglan (metoclopramide), Domperidone (motilium) and Oxytocin Nasal Spray
- Benefits of Breastfeeding --- (Korean, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese)
- Breastfeeding Resources: Pumps and Supplies --- (Spanish)
- Position Latch Breastfeeding --- (Spanish)
- Breastfeeding Support --- (Spanish)
- Sore Nipples --- (Russian, Somalian, Spanish, Vietnamese)
- Common Concerns About Breastfeeding --- (Korean, Russian, Somalian, Spanish, Vietnamese)
- Comfort Measures and Postpartum Engorgement --- (Russian, Somalian, Spanish)
- Pumping and Storing Breastmilk --- (Spanish)
- How Is Breastfeeding Going? --- (Somalian, Spanish)
- Is It Safe to Take This While I'm Breastfeeding? --- (Spanish)
- Breastfeeding for the Mother Having Surgery --- (Spanish)
- Breast-Pumping Record
Related Education Handouts