About this Clinic
At the Family Planning Clinic, part of the Women's Health Care Center
, our health-care professionals provides individual care in a respectful, supportive, and friendly environment.
The UW Family Planning Clinic
- provides individual care in a respectful, supportive, and friendly environment.
- offers comprehensive family planning services for women who seek birth control options, elective abortion, treatment for miscarriage or fetal demise or surgical sterilization.
- provides family planning services to medically complicated patients who need expert advice, such as women with heart disease, cancer, auto-immune disease, kidney disease, bleeding disorders, pulmonary embolism, and seizure disorders.
- promotes research and resident physician education in the field of family planning.
- is integrated into the UW Women's Health Care Center (WHCC) at Roosevelt; confidentiality around what services you are accessing will be strictly maintained.
The UW Family Planning Clinic provides:
- Birth Control - all types –pills, patch, ring, Depo Provera Injection, implants and IUDs (this includes Mirena and Paragard IUDs, Implanon)
- High Risk Contraception - patients with complex or chronic medical conditions
- Emergency Contraception - "Plan B"
- Pregnancy Testing and Options Counseling
- Medical Abortion - the "Abortion Pill"
- First and Second Trimester Surgical Abortion Services
- Sterilization (tubal ligation)
- Medical & Surgical Management of Miscarriage
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) management
If you require a termination of pregnancy procedure in the first trimester of pregnancy, this often can be done in one day without a pre-procedure visit. If you require a termination of pregnancy procedure in the second trimester, you will need one or possibly two pre-procedural visits for cervical preparation.
The UW Family Planning Clinic accepts most insurance, DSHS (medical coupons) and self-payment. Patients should talk to their health insurance plans about eligibility and benefits.
The UW Medical Center-Roosevelt clinics are located at 4245 and 4225 Roosevelt Way N.E. The two red brick buildings are a few blocks northwest of the main medical center; 4245 (UWMC-Roosevelt II) is the northernmost of the two buildings. See map
From Interstate 5:
From Interstate 405:
- Exit at Northeast 45th Street and head east. If you are traveling I-5 northbound, turn right at the exit ramp onto 45th. If you are traveling on I-5 southbound, turn left onto 45th.
- From the freeway, travel four blocks and turn right onto Roosevelt Way, a one-way street.
- Continue two blocks. The buildings are on the right.
Free shuttle service
- Take exit 14 (State Route 520), heading west to Seattle across the Lake Washington bridge.
- Merge onto Interstate 5 northbound and exit at Northeast 45th Street.
- Turn right at the exit ramp onto Northeast 45th, and travel four blocks.
- Turn right again, onto Roosevelt Way. The buildings will be on your right side, about two blocks down.
is available between the medical center and the two Roosevelt buildings.