At UW Medicine Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC-Roosevelt, our weight loss team helps patients who are obese shed pounds and regain their health. We’ve been providing expert, compassionate care for more than 30 years and understand how important the weight loss process is to our patients’ lives. That’s why we are dedicated to supporting you every step of the way – from the initial consultation through treatment and comprehensive follow-up care.
Individualized Care, Exceptional Service
Our multidisciplinary team consists of experienced bariatric surgeons, internal medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, social workers, and registered dietitians with the clinical knowledge and expertise to offer the best weight loss care available. We first carefully assess your health history, medical issues and body type. Then we’ll discuss the various weight loss options, making sure that you receive the support and education you need to make an informed decision. The combination of customized care, innovative treatments, education about your weight loss options and continual support ensure that you can meet your weight loss goals.
Our Approach to Weight Loss Management
Our non-surgical weight loss program uses strategies proven to help people lose weight and improve their health. You will meet with experts on our team to discuss your health, goals and treatment options. We partner with you to set the diet and exercise plan that will work best for you. Through our Habits for Health courses, you will learn how to reach your goals to lose weight, regularly engage in brisk physical activity and maintain the weight you have lost. In some cases, patients who aren’t meeting their weight loss goals may want to add medications – along with their lifestyle changes. Our healthcare professionals will work with you to determine if adding medications could safely help you lose weight. Please complete any forms that were mailed to you prior to your appointment with our health care provider.
Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss operations can have an enormous impact on your life, in terms of number of pounds lost, and overall improvement in your health and quality of life. Our comprehensive program provides individualized care and exceptional service to support patients every step of the way. The Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC-Roosevelt is a nationally recognized center for weight loss surgery and one of only six centers in the country funded by the National Institutes of Health to study outcomes of bariatric surgery. This places UW Medical Center at the forefront of weight loss management surgery, and our experienced, highly qualified team provides patients with excellent surgical and follow-up care.
Our Approach to Weight Loss Surgery
- Our patients are treated as individuals who have specific health needs and life goals.
- Our physicians carefully assess each patient’s health history, medical issues and body type so that the patient receives the right surgery and appropriate follow-up care to ensure a successful outcome and help with improving his or her quality of life.
- Not only do we tailor our care to each individual, our goal is to make certain patients receive the support and education they need to make informed decisions and a lifelong commitment to a new way of life. Our patients are provided with extensive education, counseling and support before and after surgery.
Candidates for weight loss surgery have a BMI over 40 or a BMI of 35 or greater along with significant weight-related medical problems such as diabetes, heart disease, or severe sleep apnea. Other criteria include: being overweight for more than five years, having had only short-term success with previous serious attempts to lose weight, having a primary care physician and being prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
Bariatric Surgeries Offered
We perform the following procedures for surgical weight loss. Each of these operations has advantages and disadvantages, which your surgical team will discuss with you in detail, if appropriate.
Forms to Bring
Relevant medical records with you or ask your referring physician to mail or fax them to us.
- Roux-En-Y gastric bypass (laparoscopic and open)
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (Lap-Band®)
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Revisions to bariatric surgeries
Address: UWMC Weight Loss Management Program, Box 354790 4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle WA 98105.
- Plan to arrive at Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC-Roosevelt about
20 minutes before your first appointment to complete registration and check-in.
- Some of our patients have complex problems causing us to run behind schedule. Please allow two hours for your clinic visit.
- The UWMC Weight Loss Management Program has a teaching mission in addition to patient care. You may be seen by a medical student and/or resident as well as the attending physician.
- Patients who receive outpatient services at the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) receive two bills:
- One bill from the physician or other provider (for the costs of his or her professional services).
- One bill from the hospital (for costs, i.e. building, equipment, supplies, staff time).
- Each of these bills may incur a co-payment or co-insurance responsibility for the patient.
- The exact dollar amount of the co-insurance or co-payment that will be required to pay to the hospital and the physician will depend upon the actual services provided to you during your first visit and the coverage provided by your insurance.
- Fees for not-medically necessary and/ or cosmetic services remain the individual patient’s responsibility and will be collected at the time services are rendered.
For information about facility fees and hospital-billing, please visit our
facility fee FAQs
To fax documents, please use the clinic fax number: 206.598.6014