UW Medicine’s Transition Care Program supports young adult patients with complex medical needs as they transition from child-centered to adult-centered healthcare services. We work in partnership with patients, families and providers to prepare young adult patients for an adult model of care and to make their transition a smooth one.
Our Transition Care Program uses a step-by-step process to help young adult patients and their families:
- Learn how to navigate the adult-centered healthcare system
- Find new adult-centered providers, including primary care and specialty care providers
- Resolve questions and concerns about moving from pediatric to adult care, including insurance issues, home healthcare needs, and community resources
Our Care Team
Patients meet with all members of our Transition Care Program team during their first visit. Follow-up visits are with those team members who can best meet the patient’s healthcare goals. A patient’s team will consist of an attending doctor, nurse care coordinator and social worker.
- Have many years of experience caring for patients with complex medical concerns
- Assess the patient’s need for referrals and make transition plan recommendations
Nurse care coordinators
- Gather information about the patient’s medical care and history so as to best meet the patient’s healthcare needs
- Serve as the point of contact
- Help with legal, insurance and financial questions
- Provide patients with information about community resources
- Assess the need for behavior health resources and vocational or educational services
As part of the Transition Care Program (TCP), patients will have clinic visits with TCP providers while making the transition from pediatric to adult care. During these visits, our TCP team gets to know the unique needs and circumstances of each patient. The TCP coordinates care by sharing information about each patient’s unique transitional care needs with new providers and preparing patients to manage their own care.
Appointments and contact information
The Transition Care Program works with patients who are between 18 and 24 years old. This program requires a referral by a medical provider. For more information about referrals or our program, please call our Transition Care Program Team at 206.598.2972.
To fax documents, please use the clinic fax number: 206.598.3773