Harborview volunteers provide essential help in many ways throughout the medical center to help make patients’ stays more comfortable.
- Providing support to patients, families and visitors
- Restocking supplies in inpatient units
- Providing non-medical comfort to patients
- Preparing rooms for new patients
- Providing administrative support in medical offices
- Running errands for inpatient units
- Reading to children and assisting them with crafts
- Assisting customers in the Gift Shop
- Changing bed linens
- Answering patient calls
- Socializing with patients
- Facilitating family and visitor contact with staff, such as spiritual care providers, social workers, physicians, specific nurses, etc.
- Escorting non-critical patients to appointments
- Directing patients' families and friends to hospital units, clinics or other destinations
- Distributing books, magazines and activities to patient rooms and waiting areas
Volunteers also assist behind the scenes and in the Harborview Gift Shop. Proceeds from the Gift Shop assist in funding for the non-medical needs of patients and their families.