What is it?
ExamSoft is the company we contract with to deliver electronic exams during Foundation Phase blocks. There is an app called SofTest that will you need to install on your laptop in order to take exams.
What do I need to know or do?
What is the ExamSoft portal?
- This is the URL for the UWSOM portal page: http://www.examsoft.com/uwsom
- Click the Login button in the Exam Takers box in the upper left. You will log in to the portal with your UW NetID credentials.
These are the things you can do from the ExamSoft portal:
- Check if you have the current version of SofTest
- Download SofTest
- Download exam reports
- Check your exam download/upload history
How do I check to see if I have the current version of SofTest installed?
- Log in to the portal page.
- Hover over your name in the upper right corner, then select My Account from the popup menu.
- Look for the item called SofTest Version. This will tell you whether you are up-to-date.
How do I download and install SofTest?
- Log in to the portal page.
- Click the SofTest tab at the top of the page.
- The minimum system requirements are posted on this page. If your computer meets the UWSOM minimum requirements, you should be able to run SofTest on your computer.
- Click the Download button and launch the installer.
How do I update SofTest once I already have it installed?
- Because some WWAMI sites give exams in computer labs, SofTest has been configured to NOT auto-update. Therefore, when new versions of SofTest come out, you will need to install them manually.
- ExamSoft recommends that you first uninstall the previous version of SofTest before installing a new version.
- Macs: Just drag the application into the trash.
- Windows 7: Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program
- Windows 10: Go to Start Menu > Settings > System > Apps & Features
How do I take a practice exam?
- Launch SofTest. Our Institution id is "uwsom" (lower case, no quotes)
- You will be taken out of the app to a browser to authenticate with your UW NetID. Once you get the "You have successfully logged in" message in your browser, return to SofTest. (There may be a small time lag before SofTest gets the confirmation from the browser).
- You should then see a pop-up message telling you there are exams available to download. Click Yes to go to the download screen. (From the home screen, click the Download Exam Files button.) Go to the Available Exams tab, select the exam, then click the Download button.
- After downloading the exam, click the Done button to return to the home screen. Then click the Take an Exam button.
- Select an exam from the dropdown menu. The password for the demo test is "passw0rd" (password is case-sensitive; the letter O is replaced with a zero, don't include the quote marks). Then click Start (WARNING: Your computer will quit all other open programs, so make sure you have saved anything else you were working on!!!)
What features does SofTest have during exams?
- Exit/Save: This is how you will leave the exam. The software will give you a warning if you try to leave the exam with unanswered questions.
- Highlight: Select text in the question stem, then click the highlight button.
- Adjust Font Size: Click "larger" to increase font size, click "smaller" to decrease font size.
- Paper Clip: This is for viewing attachments. Exam attachments (e.g., normal values table) will be viewable from any question. Question Attachments (e.g., images, graphs) will only be viewable from the question they belong to.
The Sidebar contains the following functions:
- Nav = Navigator module. Can be used to go between questions, flag questions, and see which questions are still unanswered.
- Calculator = Calculator module.
- Alarm = Alarm module. Default alarm is 5 min from end of exam. You can manually set additional alarms at any time.
- Strikethrough: If you want to strikethrough a response option as being incorrect, right-click on the response and it will turn dark gray. Once you select a response, the other unselected options will be changed to light gray.
- Hide Exam: If you need to leave your computer at any time during the exam (e.g., using the restroom) click ActionsàHide Exam. Note that this does NOT pause your exam timer--the timer will continue to run!
- Notes/Question Feedback: You may take notes in this box during the exam. If you think there is an error in a question, or have a comment for your instructor, you can check the "request review of feedback" box; your comment will be sent anonymously to them for review.
Finishing the Exam:
- At the end of the demo test, you will have the opportunity to review the answers to the questions you missed. The password for this is "review" (password is case-sensitive; don't include the quote marks)
- When you close the exam, your computer will immediately attempt to re-connect to the internet and upload your answer file. When this happens successfully, you will see a green confirmation window.
- If for some reason your upload is not successful, first quit and relaunch SofTest to try again. If that does not solve the problem, turning the wi-fi off and back on again may fix the problem.
Where can I get more help?
For issues related to downloading and installing SofTest, contact ExamSoft exam taker support:
For issues related to account registration, practice tests, and medical school exams, contact UWSOM Testing Services: