What is it?
Canvas is the University of Washington's platform for course web sites. In the School of Medicine, Canvas course web sites are used to distribute syllabi, reading lists, class meeting calendars and other course materials. In some School of Medicine course websites students also participate in discussions, submit assignments and take quizzes.
Why do I need to know?
School of Medicine course web sites in Canvas are your main resource for finding current course materials. As a medical student, you have access to all Canvas course web sites at all WWAMI campuses, either as a student in your local courses or as an observer in courses from other campuses in the WWAMI region.
Canvas works best with either the Firefox or Chrome web browsers on computers or mobile devices. There is a Canvas app available for some mobile devices
When your teacher opens the course web site, go to
canvas.uw.edu, and enter your UW Net ID and password.
To view all of your courses
- Mouse over the Courses link (top).
- Click on Customize. This will display a list of your courses.
- Check or uncheck the courses you wish to display.
Navigating within a Canvas Course
Within a Canvas course website, course materials are displayed on the Home page. Click the links on the Home page to view or download files. On the left hand side of the page, you’ll see links to other areas of the course, including Discussions and Grades.
Canvas Email Notifications
Email notifications are sent out to course participants when courses are updated, assignments are graded or announcements are posted. You can turn off or reduce the frequency of these email notifications.
To turn off or reduce Canvas email notifications
- Log on to Canvas at canvas.uw.edu
- Click Settings in the upper right corner of the page
- In Settings, click Notifications on the left hand side of the page.
- On the Notifications page, under Email Address on the right hand side of the page, select how often you would like to receive the various notifications (right away, daily summary, weekly summary or none).
Additional instructions are available within Canvas. Log on at canvas.uw.edu and click Help in the upper right corner to find searchable guides for students and teachers.