Resident and fellow wellness is an institutional priority in graduate medical education. The GME Wellness Service helps trainees and their significant others/spouses cope with common stressors of training. Our goal is to promote work-life balance and overall wellness by advocating for you and providing you with tools to reduce burnout, depression, relationship stress, and other problems.
We offer FREE and CONFIDENTIAL counseling services and FREE psychiatric consultation for individuals and couples. We help you manage crises, provide new perspectives for handling stress, renew existing scripts, and assess the need for new prescriptions.
To help you make the most of your precious time off, we produce a weekly electronic newsletter called The Wellness Corner, where we share information about GME Wellness activities and other free, fun, and low-cost events around town. To build community across all of our programs, we sponsor evening and weekend events targeted to everyone, and to special interest groups including LGBTs, singles, international trainees, and parents. Popular activities include tours of chocolate and beer factories, food events, museum and library tours, canoeing, art walks, movie nights, and our annual Peeps Contest. Family-friendly events include Ride the Ducks, a Halloween party, and an indoor children's gym. Self-care is encouraged with discounts for massages, facials, sports events and theater tickets.
We also offer deeply discounted classes on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Compassion Cultivation training for trainees and their significant others/spouses, and we provide customized seminars, workshops, and support groups upon request.
Daytime and evening counseling is available Monday through Thursday and can be scheduled online at any time. No medical record or bill is generated. Don't wait for a crisis! Book an appointment if you or your partner is experiencing any of the following:
- Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Concerns
- Love Loss and other Relationship Problems
- Career Doubts, Job stress, Burnout
- Sleep Disturbance
- Adverse Event (needle stick, traumatic patient outcome, illness in your family, etc.)
- Harassment by a partner or a work colleague
- Conflicts with faculty, attendings, hospital staff, or others
Feedback on the Counseling Service:
- "In a time of intense emotional turmoil it was a life saver for me to have a professional advisor I could talk to immediately about my relationship problem. As residents we are lucky to have access to such high quality practitioners. They helped me make sense of what I was going through and provided me with guidance on how to handle it while continuing my residency training."
- "…it's totally anonymous—even the location is where you would not bump into people…"
- "It has been so comforting to journey to the hospital basement and sip on hot tea, smell the flowery aroma, and reflect on what happened during the week, what it means, how I feel about it, and what I can do to take control of my own situation."
Easy Online Scheduling:
We have made it super easy to book counseling appointments.
- Go to www.schedulicity.com
- Enter Seattle, WA in the search box
- Enter GME to bring up the UW GME Wellness Service.
- Enter Schedule Now to see upcoming appointment options, and choose a time that works for you.
If you are a first-time counseling client, return a completed Intake Form to Mindywho@uw.edu or Schellie@uw.edu.
Directions to the GME Wellness Service.
Other Wellness Services & Resources
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Compassion Cultivation: Throughout the year, the GME Wellness Service proudly offers deeply-discounted, Sunday evening, Introductory and Advanced 5-week series on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Compassion Cultivation. Each of these practices has been shown to reduce anxiety, depression and stress, and to increase empathy towards one's self, patients, and others. Trainees and their significant others/spouses are eligible to enroll. The Wellness Corner includes information and registration links.
Listservs: To build community and share resources, we have created two listservs: GMEParents, and LGBTwellness. To join, email the GME Office.
Lending Library: Residents and fellows may borrow useful books, CDs and other materials on a variety of topics including couples communication, time management, grief, perfectionism, mindfulness, relaxing into restful sleep, etc.
To help you function at your very best, we can refer you for:
The GME Wellness counselors can refer you to our community psychiatrist for a confidential assessment and 3 follow-up appointments, all for FREE. You can renew existing scripts, assess the need for new prescriptions, and get help during a mental health crisis. Our psychiatrist is not part of UW Medicine, and is generally available within 48 hours of referral.
If you struggle with test taking, time management and other academic challenges, our learning specialist can help. FREE for GME trainees.
We can identify other community providers including PCPs, dentists, victim advocates, and more. In cases of impairment due to mental illness or substance abuse, we work closely with the Washington Physicians Health Program (WPHP). We advocate for our trainees to get necessary treatment without losing their medical license or jeopardizing their training status.
Mindy Stern, MSW, LICSW
Director, Resident and Fellow Wellness
Kristina Schellie, MSW, LICSW
Assistant Director, Resident and Fellow Wellness