All residents and fellows must have an NPI number prior to starting their training program at UW. Your NPI number must be included as part of the UWSOM Resident and Fellow Application completed in MedHub.
Updating Provider Information
Providers must update the
National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) with any changes to their provider information (e.g., new medical license number, change in taxonomy code, change in address) within 30 days of the effective date of the change.
If you have been in a UW GME program since July 2006 and do not have your NPI number or login information, please contact the GME Office to request this information be sent to you.
NPI Enrollment Instructions
- Got to the
NPI Enrollment Site, and select
National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Select "Apply Online for an NPI"
(be sure to read the application instructions carefully before proceeding)
- Create a User ID and Password
- Select Entity Type - Type 1
- Provider Profile:
- Provider Name
- Credentials (MD, DO, etc)
- Pending SSN:
If you do not currently have a US Social Security Number (SSN), please complete the paper-based
NPI application form.
- Provider DOB
- Country of Birth
- State of Birth (if in the US)
- Provider Gender
- Sole Proprietor? – NO
- Domestic Business Mailing Address Information:
- Domestic Business Practice Location and Phone Number:
- Same as above. Phone number should be most appropriate number to be reached at for any patient related calls. It is advisable NOT to include a fax number.
- Add Other Identification Numbers (if applicable)
- Taxonomy Code/License Information: The Taxonomy Code is a 10-character alphanumeric descriptor used to identify a health care provider’s current specialty:
- If the provider is
- Select Provider Type Code Allopathic and Osteopathic Physicians OR Dental Providers
- Select the correct Taxonomy code (current specialty)
- Enter the provider’s state license number
- If the provider is
not currently licensed:
- Select Provider Type Code Student, Health Care
- The Taxonomy code will be pre-selected on the next page as
390200000X - Student in an Organized Health Care Education/Training Program
- Once the provider becomes licensed, the license number will need to be added and the taxonomy code updated with the current specialty.
- Contact Information – should be the Provider
- Certification Statement
NPI confirmation emails are sent within 15 minutes and contain the provider’s login, NPI number and information on how to log in to the system and update information. It is important that providers keep a copy of the confirmation email for their records.