Copper transport disorders
and mitochondrial disorders.
His work is focused on developing newborn screening which uses tandem mass spectrometry for Wilson's disease, a genetic disease in which the body cannot excrete copper properly, leading to its accumulation in various organs including the liver and brain. He is developing an assay that quickly determines if the mitochondrial disease is present. He hopes to improve clinical practice through integrated laboratory testing and true translational research.
- Korea University, College of MedicineMedical education1983
- Korea University Guro HospitalInternship
- Korea University Guro HospitalResidency
- Korea University Graduate SchoolPh.D1995
- National Institutes of HealthFellowship
- American Board of Medical GeneticsClinical Biochemical Genetics1999
- American Board of Medical GeneticsClinical Genetics1999