Elizabeth A. Phelan, MD, MS, is associate professor in the division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, adjunct associate professor in the department of…
Read Full Bio
Patient Care Philosophy
"I perceive myself to be a partner with my patients in achieving their own goals for their health."
French culture and language/literature, classical piano and traveling.
Health promotion, quality of care and outcomes assessment.
Dr. Phelan's research aims to promote health and prevent functional decline in community dwelling older adults. In 2003, she received the Paul Beeson Physician Faculty Scholars in Aging Research Program Award to study a new model of care for older adults in primary care settings.
In 2000, she received the Pfizer/American Geriatrics Society Foundation for Health in Aging Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research on Health Outcomes in Geriatrics to evaluate the impact of physician practice style on functional status in outpatient elders. She was named the 2007 UW Department of Medicine's Philip and Helen Fialkow Scholar, an award that honors the late UW dean of medicine and his wife and recognizes the outstanding achievements of junior faculty in medicine in research, teaching, clinical work, and academic citizenship.
Currently Dr. Phelan's research focuses on improving quality of care for geriatric syndromes, in particular falls and fall prevention. She is presently an investigator on two externally funded research projects which focus on translating evidence-based approaches to geriatric syndrome management (falls, depression) into clinical practice. She also has an interest in improving the quality of primary care for dementia.
- Tufts University School of MedicineMedical education1992
- University of North CarolinaInternship
- University of North CarolinaResidency
- Univ. of North Carolina HospitalsTeaching Appointment
- Univ. of Washington, School of Public Health & Community MedicineMedical education1998
- UW - Robert Wood Johnson ScholarsFellowship1998
- UW - Division of Gerontology & Geriatric MedicineFellowship
- American Board of Internal MedicineGeriatric Medicine (Int. Med.)1999
- American Board of Internal MedicineInternal Medicine1996