Dr. Avellino is the director of UW Medicine Neurosciences Institute and chief of neurological surgery at UW Medical Center. He is a UW professor of…
Read Full Bio
Patient Care Philosophy
Patient/family-centered care is critical to achieving the very best outcomes.
His clinical practice focuses on all aspects of neurosurgery with special expertise in minimally invasive endoscopic neurosurgery; complex spine problems; brain and spinal cord tumors; peripheral nerve surgery; and normal pressure hydrocephalus.
Investigations in the pathophysiology of hydrocephalus using proteomic and genomic techniques; identifying biomarkers for the prognosis of cognitive outcome in hydrocephalus; and establishing a human ventricular cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) databank for the investigations of CSF biomarkers in hydrocephalus.
- Columbia UniversityMedical education1992
- Johns Hopkins School of MedicineTeaching Appointment
- UW - Dept. of NeurosurgeryFellowship
- UW - Dept. of NeurosurgeryResidency
- UW - Dept. of SurgeryInternship
- American Board of Neurological SurgeryNeurological Surgery2004