During fiscal year (FY) 2013 UW Medicine focused on continuing the implementation of key priorities of the Strategic Plan. UW Medicine includes Harborview Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, UW Medical Center, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center, UW Neighborhood Clinics, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine and Airlift Northwest. It also includes a strategic collaboration with Peacehealth for complex tertiary and quaternary care. The expanded health system best positions us to serve our region for primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary care and to excel in teaching and research to achieve our mission of improving health.
Our strategic planning process includes over 18 strategic planning workgroups that continue to demonstrate enthusiasm, dedication and innovation when developing and implementing our strategic planning goals. Some of the key accomplishments in FY2013 include the following:
- Completed construction and opening of the Completed expansion of the UW Neighborhood Clinics to open Urgent Care at the Shoreline Clinic in July 2013 and Woodinville Clinic in October 2013.
- Opened the new SCCA Outpatient Cancer Clinic at UW Medicine/Northwest Hospital and the new UW Medicine Sports Medicine Center in Husky Stadium opening in September 2013.
- Developed relationships with Multicare, Overlake Hospital, PeaceHealth and the Interlocals (Skagit, Arlington, Island hospitals) to serve as UW Medicine ACO network partners.
- Completed third year of the “Patients Are First” initiative, held three Leadership Development Institutes for over 500 leaders from all UW Medicine sites, made progress on achievement of Pillar Goals and developed standard metrics and goals for UW Medicine that are now reported monthly to physicians, staff, Board and annually to Regents.
- Established quality and safety projects and assessment tools for all UW Medicine sites.
- Completed the deployment of Cerner Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) at HMC and UWMC.
Looking ahead to FY2014, UW Medicine will continue to focus on strategic plan priorities. These will include:
- Completing the UW Medicine work plan to serve as an Accountable Care Organization
- Meeting FY14 Patients Are First Pillar Goals
- Opening and operating a new expanded Eastside Specialties Clinic (Feb 2014)
- Completing the Epic EHR deployments throughout specialty care clinics at HMC, UWMC, NWH and other key IT deployments
- Continuing implementation of quality and safety initiatives system-wide
Thank you to all of the committee chairs and sponsors and to all of the workgroup members who continue to invest countless hours creating programs that ensure our patients receive high quality, safe and effective care.
Download a PDF of the Strategic Plan