Mika Sinanan, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Sinanan is a UW professor of surgery, specializing in gastrointestinal oncology and surgery, inflammatory bowel disease, reoperative surgery, complex hernia treatment, and diseases of the colon and rectum.
Virginia Broudy, M.D..
Dr. Broudy is a hematologist/oncologist and serves as the Scripps Professor of Hematology at the UW. She is an expert in HIV-associated malignancies, myeloproliferative disorders and hematologic malignancies. She conducts research on optimal ways to treat people with HIV-associated malignancies.
Recorded sessions can be viewed
Mini-Med sessions are videotaped for future playback. As of December 31, 2016 the UWTV channel will no longer be broadcasting. To watch recordings of previous Mini-Med sessions, watch online on
YouTube or on the
UW Video Website.
February 2 - Creating a cancer care map
Learn how physicians and patients develop comprehensive treatment plans for cancer.
- Renato Martins, MD, MPH Stephen H. Petersdorf Endowed Chair in Cancer Care Associate Medical Director Solid Tumor Adult Oncology
- Douglas E. Wood, MD, FACS, FRCSEd (ad hom) Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Surgery Chief, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Endowed Chair in Lung Cancer Research
February 9 - What’s bugging your gut?
The gut is a complex system that hugely affects overall health. Find out more about the environment in your gut and some of the conditions that disrupt its healthy function.
- Anita Afzali, MD, MPH Assistant Professor of Medicine Director, Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Program Associate Director, Gastroenterology Clinics Division of Gastroenterology UW Medicine - Harborview Medical Center
- Chris Surawicz, MD Professor, Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, HMC
- Ingrid Swanson, PhD Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Protein Design
February 16 - Modern maladies
From malaria to the non-infectious, what diseases affect our world, and how is leading-edge science gaining ground on them?
- Wes Van Voorhis, MD, PhD Professor, Allergy and Infectious Disease Adjunct Professor, Global Health Adjunct Professor, Microbiology
- Angela Rasmussen, Ph.D. Research Assistant Professor, Microbiology
February 23 - Getting patients and docs on the same page
When patients gained access to their doctors’ full clinic notes, they became more involved in their own care. Learn about the OpenNotes concept.
- Joann Elmore, MD, MPH Professor of Medicine Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology
- John Scott, MD, MSc, FIDSA Medical Director, UW Telehealth Associate Professor, Medicine
March 1 - Coping with the most serious illnesses
Discover the difference between palliative and terminal illness care, as well as techniques for coping with chronic conditions.
- J. Randall Curtis, MD, MPH Professor of Medicine A. Bruce Montgomery - American Lung Association Endowed Chair in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Director, Cambia Palliative Care Center of Excellence at UW Medicine
- Anthony Back, MD Professor of Medicine
March 8 - Rural medicine: Tailoring WWAMI care to the Northwest’s rural populations
How are tomorrow’s rural doctors prepared? UW’s five-state medical school revamped its curriculum, getting students into clinic earlier.
- Suzanne Allen, MD, MPH Vice Dean for Academic, Rural and Regional Affairs
Have questions? E-mail the outreach team at
email@example.com. Click here for
parking and directions.