The Summer Teen Program is available during the months of June through August for teenagers aged sixteen through eighteen (who have not yet graduated from high school). Teenagers build leadership, teamwork and customer service skills and gain valuable exposure to the environment of healthcare in a nationally recognized medical center.
Summer Teens greet and direct visitors, transport patients, deliver specimens to the lab and flowers to patients, and assist staff with special projects. Due to the critical healthcare environment at UWMC, candidates for this program must be mature, reliable, self-directed, motivated, and able to work independently. They must also demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills and be comfortable working with a diverse patient population.
Deadline for Application: May 31, 2013. The Summer Teen Program is now closed. We are no longer accepting applications for Summer 2013.
Deadline for Completion of Training & Onboarding Requirements: June 28, 2013.
- Minimum age requirement: 16
- Commitment: 30 hours overall, with a minimum of 4 hours per week and a maximum of 12 hours per week.
- There can be no break in service longer than two weeks.
- Pass Washington State Background Check provided by UWMC.
- Purchase and wear volunteer uniform polo shirt or jacket, and follow UWMC dress code (PDF).
- Follow and abide by UWMC's Service Culture Guidelines (PDF).
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
How to Get Started
Complete and submit Volunteer Application Packet which must include the following seven items:
- Summer Teen Volunteer Application (PDF).
- Personal Statement (PDF) about why you would like to volunteer at UWMC.
- Immunization History and Employee Health form (PDF). Please note that only this completed form is required as part as your application; do not include your medical records.
- UWMC Criminal History form (PDF).
- Letter of Recommendation on official letterhead. Do not submit the letter separately from your application; do not seal it in a separate envelope. See Frequently Asked Questions for more details.
- Photo Release Agreement (PDF).
- Employee Health Center Care Agreement (PDF).
Mail or turn in your completed packet with all seven items to:
University of Washington Medical Center
1959 NE Pacific Street
Seattle, WA 98195-6144
Please note that space is limited! Application does not guarantee placement in the program.
Returning Summer Teen Volunteers
Please call our office to find out how to re-apply.